English Literature 12
Version 04 4 credits)
It is recommended that students complete: English 11 or equivalent
Click here for First Assignment:
View the complete Learning Outcomes for this course: English Literature 12 Integrated Resource Package (Learning Outcomes begin on page 10)
This is a senior elective course which surveys the literature of the English language, from the Anglo-Saxon period to the Twentieth Century. This historical survey is especially important for students who intend to study English literature in post-secondary institutions.
Module 1: The Middle Ages and The Renaissance/Elizabethan Age
- Section 1: The Anglo-Saxon Period
- Section 2: The Medieval Period
- Section 3: Introduction to Elizabethan Literature
- Section 4: The Tempest
- Section 5: The Tempest (Second Reading) The Language of the Bible
Module 1 Test covers the work of Module 1.
Module 2: The Renaissance and The Enlightenment
- Section 1: The Renaissance in the 17th Century: The Jacobean Age
- Section 2: The Renaissance in the 17th Century: The Puritan Age
- Section 3: Introduction to the Restoration and The Enlightenment
- Section 4: The Enlightenment (continued)
- Section 5: The Enlightenment (concluded)
Module 2 Test covers the work of Module 2.
Module 3: The Romantic Age
- Section 1: Wordsworth
- Section 2: Coleridge, Austen, and Lord Byron
- Section 3: Shelley and Keats
Module 3 Test covers the work of Module 3.
Module 4: The Victorian Age and The 20th Century
- Section 1: Introduction and Tennyson
- Section 2: The Brownings, Brontë, Arnold, and Hardy
- Section 3: Omitted
- Section 4: The Late 20th Century
- Section 5: Review of English Literature 12
Module 4 Test covers the work of Module 4.
Assignments: 18 (60% of course)
Tests: 4 (40 % of course)